Leaderboard
728x15

The Dip!

Large Rectangle

A few nice photo edit online images I found:


The Dip!
photo edit online
Image by gwilmore (I HATE THE NEW LAYOUT!)
I made a quick and easy .00 off this picture. Here's how:

I attended the June 2009 edition of "Dancing with Our Stars" at the Chandler Fred Astaire studio, as always with my camera in hand. I arrived early, staked out my usual vantage point in the northeast corner of the studio, and spent several minutes adjusting my camera settings and taking a few test photos. A gentleman sitting a few feet away noticed me going about my work, mentioned that his wife was sheduled to perform that evening with instructor Joshua Smith, and offered me .00 for a picture of their performance. He specifically mentioned that Joshua would dip her at the end of the dance, and that he wanted me to capture that if I could.

I was on my feet the whole time this couple was performing, taking one picture after another even though I was only really trying to capture one very specific moment. And I prayed that when that moment came, my autofocus mechanism and SB-300 speedlight would work properly, which they obviously did. Joshua's facial expression provided an added bonus. I cropped and edited this image so that it could be printed in a 5x7 format, and it has now been e-mailed to my customer. I recommended that he use Mpix for printing, although I think he may decide to do that himself. I hope he likes this result. Meanwhile, the .00 bill is still in my wallet, but I think I will be spending it later today, perhaps at Schlotzky's.

This next has nothing to do with the photo, really, but is worth adding here. The following afternoon, after dropping Vanessa off for a church activity, I decided to stop by the studio for a few minutes. The visit proved to be a delight, but unfortunately as it turned out, this was one of the rare times I have neglected to have my camera with me. (I usually take it along nearly everywhere I go.) The receptionist, studio manager, and several instructors were gathered around the front desk, and I was immediately asked if I had put any of the previous evening's images online. Yes, I replied, there were three of them, and a few others would be following over the next couple of days. As soon as I said this, everyone gathered around the computer, pulled up my photostream, and started looking at the pictures. I could not see the computer screen from where I was, but I immediately realized that by not having my camera with me, I was missing what would have been a splendid opportunity, with everyone huddled around that computer screen, oohing and aahing over my pictures! (Miss Lindsey added a bit of color to the moment, by moving her shoulders, arms and hips to the beat of a tune being played out on the dance floor.)

Even as I cursed myself for having left my camera at home, I realized that this simple moment told a story, and a pleasant and memorable one at that. I took up dancing a little more than two years ago, during an especially difficult time in my life, and I know that my personal angst has sometimes been all too apparent to the studio crowd. That happens much less frequently now, partly because I am doing better, but also because I realized one day that bringing those kinds of issues into the studio -- my "happy place," as Miss Angie once reminded me -- was akin to committing an act of sacrilege in a church. These people have done far more for me than they realize, and I owe them a lot.

But now, as they all stood around that computer screen looking at my pictures and discussing them -- and asking me who Marietta was! -- I realized that I actually had succeeded in giving them something in return for all they had done for me over the last 2-1/2 years, although in my view ours continues to be an unequal bargain. Through my photography, I have at least been able to celebrate and record their talent and skill, and my efforts have obviously been appreciated. They deserve the best from me, and I have always tried to give it to them, even though I know I haven't always succeeded.

One of the sweetest moments I have ever had at that studio happened about three months ago. I stopped by one Saturday morning while Miss Gergana was giving a lesson, walked up to her, pulled this out of an envelope, and wordlessly held it in front of her. Visibly delighted, she threw her arms around me and thanked me profusely, and I confess that the whole experience left me feeling a bit misty-eyed. Her student, who also liked the picture, did not object to this very brief interruption in his lesson. Afterward I walked over to a nearby framing shop, had the photo mounted in a beautiful frame, and left it for her at the studio. It now adorns her apartment, and I take comfort in the knowledge that I had succeeded so well in capturing her in a moment of singular magnificence and beauty. It represents what I always try to do for the studio crowd, all of whom have blessed and enriched my life in such a unique and powerful way.

This song -- which, incidentally, happens to be a fine rumba tune -- is affectionately dedicated to all of them.


“Sculpture by Chen Qiulin 陈秋林 (陳秋林 b. 1975 China): Floating 漂浮 No. 1, 2008-2009 (Wastepaper Pulp)” / A Thousand Plateaus Art Space 千高原艺术空间 (千高原藝術空間) / Art Basel Hong Kong 2013 / SML.20130523.6D.13846
photo edit online
Image by See-ming Lee 李思明 SML
In May 2008, just months before the Beijing Olympics, a devastating earthquake struck Sichuan Province, killing hundreds of thousands of people. Chinese artist 陳秋林 Chen Qiulin’s 漂浮Floating series responds directly to that catastrophe, adding a distinctly personal tenor to an event many only learned about through the media.

These floating human figures, sculpted in papier-mâché made primarily with paper scavenged from the detritus of the disaster, have the rough surfaces of industrial materials. At first glance, their texture, heft, and mass resemble that of concrete structures—a reference to the recent industrialization of the artist’s homeland.

Yet as the forms sway gently in space, suspended by nearly invisible pieces of fishing line, their apparent heaviness gives way to an essential weightlessness. The sculptures’ movements likewise suggest multiple possible readings, alternately evoking the graceful postures of dance and traumatic visions of bodies falling in space. Personal history drives Chen’s practice, but in creating such plays between opposites, she asks viewers to bring their own histories to their encounters with her work.

(retrieved from gallery description with some edits, 1)

陳秋林 Chen Qiulin
漂浮 Floating No. 1, 2008-2009
Edition 3
Sculpture, Wastepaper Pulp
172 x 89 x 60 cm

# Notes
1. www.artbaselhongkong-online.com/index.php5?id=1411158&...

# Chen Qiulin 陈秋林 (陳秋林)
Chen Qiulin (b. 1975) is an emerging artist who is deeply concerned with the impact of urbanization in China. Her practice includes performance, photography, video, installation and most recently sculpture. She combines personal history with themes of demolition, migration, and transformation to express the reality for "ordinary people" living in China today. Born in Hubei Province, Chen Qiulin graduated from the Printmaking Department at the Sichuan Academy of Fine Arts and currently divides her time between Chengdu and Beijing.

www.chartcontemporary.com/artist_chen_qiulin.html

# A Thousand Plateaus Art Space 千高原艺术空间 (千高原藝術空間)
87 Fangqin Street
Chengdu 610041
China

www.1000plateaus.org/

# SML Data
+ Date: 2013-05-23T15:42:20+0800
+ Dimensions: 5316 x 3544
+ Exposure: 1/40 sec at f/8
+ Focal Length: 30 mm
+ ISO: 800
+ Camera: Canon EOS 6D
+ Lens: Canon EF 17-40 f/4L USM
+ GPS: 22°16'59" N 114°10'22" E
+ Location: 香港會議展覽中心 Hong Kong Convention and Exhibition Centre (HKCEC)
+ Workflow: Lightroom 4
+ Serial: SML.20130523.6D.13846
+ Series: 新聞攝影 Photojournalism, SML Fine Art, Art Basel Hong Kong 2013

# Media Licensing
Creative Commons (CCBY) See-ming Lee 李思明 / SML Photography / SML Universe Limited

“Sculpture by Chen Qiulin 陈秋林 (陳秋林 b. 1975 China): Floating 漂浮 No. 1, 2008-2009 (Wastepaper Pulp)” / A Thousand Plateaus Art Space 千高原艺术空间 (千高原藝術空間) / Art Basel Hong Kong 2013 / SML.20130523.6D.13846
/ #Photojournalism #CreativeCommons #CCBY #SMLPhotography #SMLUniverse #SMLFineArt #SMLProjects
/ #中國 #中国 #China #香港 #HongKong #攝影 #摄影 #photography #Art #FineArt #ArtBasel #ABHK #陈秋林 #陳秋林 #ChenQiulin #1000plateaus #千高原艺术空间 #千高原 #sculpture #papiermache

www.flickr.com/photos/seeminglee/8933516366/

Banner